Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Slowly Getting There

Learning Seaside for me involved fits and starts, nothing smooth or steady, just regular difficulty dogging my heels which is good because it opened my mind to some very basic and fundamental questions regarding web programming. Where Rails impressed me with its mastery of its database magic, I could not quite get what I had to do to write a simple webpage. The part where it creates folders for you and builds scaffolding was all very nice and neat but all I wanted was to be able to say "Hello World".

When I finally figured out Seaside I found that all you needed to do to say "Hello World" was to override #renderContentOn: and make your html statements. There are Seaside equivalents to HTML tags such that

"Hello World"

would be written as html paragraph: 'Hello World'. within the #renderContentOn:html method. Everywhere else was just regular Smalltalk programming.If you really wanted HTML-style code you could say html html: '

Some text

' and it would be rendered just the way you would expect it to which is

"Hello World"

.
Ching's World was built on Seaside. It is less a website than a journey to knowing how to make a website. The Philippine cities of Cagayan de Oro and Dumaguete take center stage on Ching's World

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

3
Cingular Phones
Las Vegas Condos